Mackintosh Academy, a co-educational independent school serving gifted students in grades K through 8th, is seeking a 1st Grade Lead Homeroom Teachers for the 2020–2021 academic year. Mackintosh Academy presents an exceptional opportunity to work with bright, dedicated, and creative students and colleagues in a highly innovative and naturally beautiful setting.
We seek candidates who value the balance of intellectually challenging and creative program with developmentally appropriate and research-based practices. Our excellent student-teacher ratios allow for individualized instruction and education of the whole child. Homeroom Lead Teachers are responsible for teaching in a self-contained classroom, working collaboratively with a Intern or Assistant Teacher to implement an academically strong, child-centered and differentiated curriculum to gifted children. Preference will be given to candidates with experience and training in working with children at this range. Mackintosh Academy is an equal opportunity employer seeking a more diverse workplace.
- Works closely with an Assistant Teacher and colleagues to coordinate homeroom instruction using a variety of best curricular approaches including: writers and reading workshop, word study, conceptual and manipulative-based math approaches, and integrated and thematic social studies.
- Coordinates IB planning and implementation via a highly collaborative relationship with other grade-levels, specialist teachers, and curriculum coordinators.
- Facilitates the social and emotional learning (SEL) of students. Key components of our daily life include: morning meetings, class meetings, service and leadership opportunities, class and school-wide agreements, rituals, routines, all-school gatherings, and weekly SEL classes.
- Plan and lead experiential education opportunities including local field trips and on-campus speakers and enriching experiences.
- Implements a variety of instructional and assessment methods including integrated use of educational technology, design-thinking, experiential education, and project-based learning.
- Maintains solid frequent and effective communication with home, colleagues and administration.
- Participates in staff meetings, retreats, and on various committees.
- Supports the overall mission of Mackintosh Academy.
Credentials: Bachelor’s Degree required. Masters preferred. Knowledge of gifted children a plus.
Application: Please send/email cover letter, resumé, statement of educational philosophy, and supporting materials to:
JJ Morrow, Head of School
- (72.2 KBs)