St. Mary’s Academy
Employment Posting for Faculty
Job Position: Lower School Teacher (Grades 3-5)
St. Mary’s Academy Overview:
St. Mary’s Academy, located in Englewood, Colorado is Metro Denver’s premier Catholic, independent school offering rigorous academics in its co-ed lower and middle schools, and its high school for girls. St. Mary’s Academy offers a safe, yet innovative program that embraces all student backgrounds, and fosters character and moral development from Pre-Kindergarten to Graduation.
St. Mary’s Academy is a close community where faculty and staff serve as role models for the students in accordance with a mission to foster excellence in each child through academic achievement, spiritual development and service. The qualities of a strong work ethic, desire for personal growth, and commitment to life-long learning that St. Mary’s Academy expects of students is likewise an expectation for faculty and staff. Each day, too, is an opportunity to live the Loretto School Values of faith, community, justice, and respect.
St. Mary’s Academy is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff who are dedicated to their profession and to the well-being and life of the St. Mary’s Academy community. St. Mary's Academy does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, sex, disability, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, sexual orientation or religion. This policy applies to all areas of student concerns: educational policies, admission policies (historically high school admission is open to women only), scholarship, and grant-in-aid programs, athletic and other school-administered programs as well as employee/personnel concerns. St. Mary's Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
No job description could ever fully capture the dynamic nature of being a teacher at St. Mary’s Academy. We offer this description as an overview of a teacher’s most basic responsibilities.
St. Mary’s Academy is seeking a Lower School Teacher for the 2021- 2022 academic year in grade 3. This is a full-time, 10-month, exempt position reporting to the Lower School Principal. This individual will collaborate with team members, support the organization by planning, organizing and implementing an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. This individual will also use technology to deliver and support both in-person instruction and distance learning.
Through regular conversations with principals, St. Mary’s Academy teachers learn and understand their job responsibilities. It has been a hallmark of teachers throughout the history of St. Mary’s Academy that their work goes beyond the classroom and includes not only the academic preparation of the student, but also the emotional, social and spiritual development of students. Additionally, teachers at St. Mary’s Academy are enthusiastic and energetic and will find support for new ideas and programs. This enthusiasm is encouraged and applauded at SMA. Additionally, faculty members at St. Mary’s Academy are a supportive group. One does not have to look far to find a helping hand at St. Mary’s Academy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences;
- Develop schemes of work and lesson plans;
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities;
- Prepare classroom for class activities;
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities;
- Identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs;
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment;
- Use relevant technology to support instruction;
- Observe and evaluate student’s performance and development;
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments;
- Provide appropriate feedback on work;
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students;
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development;
- Prepare required reports on students and activities;
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing appropriate rules and procedures;
- Perform certain pastoral duties including student support, counseling students with academic problems and providing student encouragement;
- Participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities such as social events, sporting events, clubs, overnight trips, community service and other school community activities;
- Participate in department and school meetings, parent meetings;
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs;
- Keep updated with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities;
- Other tasks as assigned;
- Adhere to and support the mission of St. Mary’s Academy.
All teachers are also responsible for a variety of duties and tasks throughout the day; the principal will make these assignments and share them with faculty. These tasks and assignments change as needs of the community are determined.
- Education and qualifications should include the following:
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- Master’s degree, preferred
- Experience teaching Lower School (grades K-5)
- Understanding of and appreciation for Lower-School-aged students
The salary range for this full-time, exempt position is $43,000.00 - $68,000.00. St. Mary’s Academy provides excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and life insurance, retirement, paid time off, tuition remission, and opportunities for professional development.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and statement of educational philosophy to Karen Smith, Lower School Principal, at [email protected]. No calls, please.