Bachelor’s degree in physics and/or computer science or a related discipline required; advanced degree and experience with classroom teaching and working with students and adults in an independent boarding/day school environment preferred.
Health, Dental, Vision, LTD, 403 (b)
Fountain Valley School is a co-ed, college-preparatory boarding/day school enrolling 230 students in grades 9-12. Founded in 1930, the School provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious, and compassionate. This position reports directly to the chair of the science department. S/he will be responsible for teaching four science classes (computer science and physics.)
- Teach 4 science class sections (physics and programming/coding classes that complement the science curriculum and support the school’s Makerspace.)
- Serve as a collaborative member of the Science Department with a focus on inspired and hands-on teaching.
- In collaboration with the Director of Tech and Global Integration, help manage and support our Makerspace and it’s equipment.
- In collaboration with the department chair and other faculty maintain an up-to-date scope and sequence document for the science department.
- Coach two seasons of athletics/afternoon activities.
- Serve as an adviser to approximately 6 students.
- Participate in a class level retreat along with other faculty members.
- Participate in committees as assigned.
- Participate in co-leading an Interim trip (Spring experiential learning trip)
- Serve as a member of a weekend and weeknight duty team (1 weeknight a week, and 9 weekends a year.)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work with individuals in a courteous and professional manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in a team environment.
- Detail-oriented, organized, self-motivated, and self-directed and punctual.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in LMS Blackbaud OnCampus and Google Educational Suite Apps.
- Environment: indoor classroom working with some outdoor events.
- Physical demands: able to sit and stand for at least 8 hours per day; must be able to lift 40 lb.
- Attendance at certain community events will be required.
- Working relationships: students, parents, outside vendors, and all other employees.
FVS’ Core Values are courage, open-mindedness, self-reliance, curiosity, and compassion. FVS supports a culture of communication and collaboration with the intent of creating an environment of predictability and support for our students, parents, and colleagues. FVS employees celebrate diversity, participate fully in the school community, embrace the power of the prairie, the peaks, and the history of the School. FVS teaching faculty challenge students, create opportunities for learning and growth beyond the academic day, employ innovative teaching methods, and pursue professional and personal development through lifelong learning.
Fountain Valley School of Colorado provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious and compassionate.
How to Apply
Send letter of application, resume and list of three professional references to:Amanda Dedrick
Fountain Valley School of Colorado
Colorado Springs, CO 80911
E-mail: [email protected]