March 17, 2021
Fountain Valley School is a co-ed, college-preparatory boarding/day school enrolling 230 students in grades 9-12. Founded in 1930, the School provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious, and compassionate. This position reports directly to the chair of the History department, and is responsible for teaching History classes to students in 9-12 grade.
- Teach 4 sections of history
- Serve as a collaborative team member of the History department with a focus on inspired and hands-on teaching
- In collaboration with the department chair and other faculty maintain an up-to-date scope and sequence document for the History department
- Coach two seasons of athletics/afternoon activities
- Serve as an adviser to approximately six students
- Participate in a class level retreat along with other faculty members
- Participate in committees as assigned
- Participate in co-leading an Interim trip (Spring experiential learning trip)
- Serve as a member of a weekend and weeknight duty team (1 weeknight a week, and 9 weekends a year)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Stay current with trends in History education
- Ability to work with individuals in a courteous and professional manner
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in a team environment
- Detail-oriented, organized, self-motivated, self-directed and punctual
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage multiple tasks at one time
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in LMS Blackbaud OnCampus and Google Educational Suite Apps preferred
Bachelor’s degree with a major in History; advanced degree and experience with classroom teaching and working with students and adults in an independent boarding/day school environment preferred.
- Environment: office and indoor classroom working with some outdoor events
- Physical demands: able to sit and stand for at least 8 hours per day; must be able to lift 40 lb.
- Attendance at certain community events will be required
- Working relationships: students, parents, outside vendors, and all other employees
Salary Range: $35,000 - $42,000 depending on experience and degrees
FVS’ Core Values are courage, open-mindedness, self-reliance, curiosity, and compassion. FVS supports a culture of communication and collaboration with the intent of creating an environment of predictability and support for our students, parents, and colleagues. FVS employees celebrate diversity, participate fully in the school community, embrace the power of the prairie, the peaks, and the history of the School. FVS teaching faculty challenge students, create opportunities for learning and growth beyond the academic day, employ innovative teaching methods, and pursue professional and personal development through lifelong learning.
Fountain Valley School of Colorado provides a transformative curriculum in a supportive environment where students are challenged to think critically, become leaders, and live by our core values: Courage, Compassion, Curiosity, Self-Reliance, Open-Mindedness.
Send letter of application, resume and list of three professional references to:
Fountain Valley School of Colorado
Colorado Springs, CO 80911
E-mail: [email protected]