The Association of Colorado Independent Schools is a voluntary membership organization with a focus on continuous school improvement. The accreditation program serves as the primary means for supporting the advancement of member schools. ACIS accreditation standards are based on the Principles of Good Practice established by the National Association of Independent Schools. Throughout the ten-year accreditation cycle, ACIS holds members accountable for providing high quality educational programs that are congruent with the unique mission of each school.
To apply for membership in ACIS a school must meet the following qualifications:
- Five or more years of operation
- 501(c)(3) non-profit status
- Independent governing board
- Clearly stated mission and philosophy
- Commitment to continuous school improvement
- Commitment to accreditation process
- Substantial compliance with ACIS accreditation standards
- Non-discriminatory policies and practices in admissions, employment and all other aspects of school operation as provided by law
The ACIS Board of Directors retains the exclusive authority to approve new members by deciding which schools the Association can effectively support and evaluate through its accreditation process.